Getting involved in clubs while at university will allow you to further your education, explore your non-academic interests, develop valuable skills, and make a heap of new friends.
There are over 100 clubs registered with Clubs & Societies at Clayton, but we’re always looking for new clubs to join our numbers. If you’re interested in starting up a new club, make sure your meet our requirements. 1. Check that you are eligible. Only students enrolled in courses administered at the Clayton campus can apply to start new clubs. Students based at other campuses, but who study all or the majority of their units at Clayton, are still ineligible. Your eligibility will be checked by our staff when you submit your application.
2. Check that your idea is original. If your new club would substantially overlap with the activities of an existing club/society, an MSA department, or a Monash University department, it will be rejected. Come in and run your idea by our staff who will be able to advise you of any issues.
3. Check that your new club meets our other criteria. Your club must not breach any provision of the C&S or MSA Constitution, must not be purely social or commercial in nature, and must benefit Monash Clayton students. Again, our staff can advise you of any issues, some come in and speak to them.
4. Find other Clayton students who are interested. Four Clayton students are needed to submit an application for starting a new club, and two of them must have an MSA Card. The eligibility requirements listed above also apply to these students. Ideally these students are going to be passionate about establishing your new club, so don’t just get uninterested friends to sign the application form for you.
5. Grab a form. Come in and speak to our Club Development Officer to receive an application for starting a new club. These forms are only available between week 0 and week 4 each semester. For Semester 2, 2013, forms will be available from Monday July 22. At this stage you will be advised of the application process and you will have the opportunity to ask any questions you might have.
6. Submit your form. Application forms are accepted from the start of week 2 up until the end of week 4 each semester. It is important that you submit your application as early as possible, as applications are assessed in order of submission. We receive a large number of applications each semester and have a limited number of new clubs we can accommodate.
7. Once your application has been received, it will be assessed by our staff and the C&S Executive, who make the final decision on which applications are accepted or rejected. If your application is accepted, the Club Development Officer will advise you of the next steps in the process.
Starting a new club is a big task, but there’s lots of support available from our staff and Executive. If you are interested in starting a new club this semester, come in and speak to someone in the Clubs & Societies office you can find us on Level 1 of the Campus Centre past the MSA desk through the glass double doors. Alternatively you can email the Clubs & Societies Vice President (firstname.lastname@example.org).