Monash University Student Theatre (MUST) is a theatre company that creates vibrant, innovative performances by and with Monash students, for all audiences. Our work is bold, diverse and of an excellent standard, attracting awards such as the Melbourne Fringe Live Art Award (2015) and great reviews: “they create the kind of theatre that blows me away every time…” Sometimes Melbourne (2016); “A radical and devastatingly effective adaptation…brilliant, deeply moving…” The Age (2017 of Awakening)
The MUST community is widespread and our graduates are making a significant impact throughout the national arts sector. Students are involved in every area at MUST: direction, marketing, stage management, design, musical composition, tech, acting and more. We pair new backstage people up with experienced student mentors. If you want to improve your leadership and communication skills, get some marketing experience on your CV or be trained in theatre lighting, let us know.
Auditions are open to ALL Monash students. You don’t need any experience, just dedication and enthusiasm. Our 2018 season is bursting with artistic expression. We’ve got new works, old favourites, interactive experiences, cabaret, workshops and unadulterated fun. Check out how you can get involved!
Where? The MUST Offices are located on the ground floor, western end of the Campus Centre, down the corridor to the left of the pharmacy. Info and audition sign-up sheets are there. The theatre entrance is on the other side, opposite the Menzies Building
Who? MUST Staff are Artistic Director Yvonne Virsik and Technical Manager Jason Lehane and hundreds of enterprising student volunteers!
Contacts? (e) email@example.com (ph) 9905 8173
More Info via (w) msa.monash.edu.au/must (f) facebook.com/musttheatre
A low down of some opportunities at MUST right now
COME ALONG TO…
- Say hi to students at the MUST Stall in the O Week Carnival
- See The MUST 2018 O Show – Back to the First Year
Charge your portal guns, grab a sonic screwdriver and check your flux capacitor! This year’s O Show is taking us to a world of Interdimensional discovery! Created by Aleks Corke and Gina Dickson, Proudly Sponsored by Campus Community Division
O Week, every day 11.30am, 12.30pm, 2pm & 3pm (FREE)
- A Casual General Welcome to MUST Session (O Week & Week 1)
- Auditioning at MUST Workshops (Week 1)
- The MUST 2018 Season Launch and Party! (Thurs March 15)
WRITE OR CREATE FOR…
- The MUST Phone-It-In Film Festival – Your chance to let your cinematic creativity shine using the magic of your own smartphone!
- PRONTO – Performed Readings Of New Theatrical Offerings – Diverse new scripts; new directors; performed readings and discussion
- Careful they might hear you – Spoken word workshops & performance
GET INVOLVED IN…
- The MUST Beginners & International Students’ Performance Workshop Program – Fun, free weekly acting & performance workshops, culminating in public showings. All welcome!
- The Bacchae workshops – in preparation for Rob Reid’s all-female-performed trilogy at La Mama in 2019.
AUDITION (Weeks 1 & 2) OR PERFORM A CREW ROLE FOR…
- MUSTBOP – MUST B-Grade Film Overdubbing Project – Created by Eamonn Johnson & Lachlan Liesfield, this year to a gloriously dreadful 80s Sci-Fi extravaganza!
- Vinegar Tom by Caryl Churchill – A 17th Century witch hunt; an indictment against the treatment of marginalised women. Directed by Gina Dickson
- The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde – A trivial comedy, for serious people … with cucumber sandwiches. Directed by Bernd Faveere
- The Monash Shakespeare Company’s Much Ado About Nothing
AND THEN IN SEMESTER TWO WE’VE GOT:
- The MUST Cabaret Festival – A wonderful performance showcase for diverse artists. Evenings of varied genres including theatre, dance, drag, music, comedy and more! Curated by Emily Vitiello & Austen Keating
- End Transmission – an Immersive Sci-Fi Performance Installation – Interact with performers and mysterious technologies as you move through an abandoned space ship. Created by Humphrey Cheung & Michelle Nguyen, Directed by Yvonne Virsik
- Holloway – a new musical – A university community copes with the fallout of a traumatic event. Written by Fraser Mitchell & Earl Marrows, Directed by Kat Yates
- Monash Shakespeare Co. present Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead by Tom Stoppard
- Monash Shakespeare Co. present Antony and Cleopatra
- Q – An existentialist maze, a bureaucratic ritual. Written and Directed by Aleks Corke
- Detention – A new work exploring youth incarceration in Australia. Created by Edan Goodall
- Alice – A new take on Lewis Carroll. Written by James Walker; Directed by Diane Pereira
- We’re partnering with Women’s Circus to offer special mentorships for female theatre makers Diane Pereira, Georgia Bell and Georgie Wolfe.
AND TO CAP OFF THE YEAR:
- 2018 Wrap Party and Awards Night
- MUST Theatre Boot Camp
Come see us at MUST for more info on opportunities for you! We’re looking forward to seeing you in 2018 onstage, offstage, or in the audience.
Yvonne Virsik – Artistic Director MUST